Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Help with 3 1/2 week old baby!? ?

My daughter is 3 1/2 weeks old and Im a first time mom. I love her so much and she is a beautifup baby. Since I had her she has been glued to me. She wants to be held constantly and if I put her down when she isnt completely passed out asleep she will start screaming. I have learned to manage and now enjoy holding her 24/7 and attatched as well (the first week was rlly hard and I was very stressed out) well heres the thing the past 3 days she has gotten alot worse with it.. Im scared something is wrong with her. She wants to be glued to my breast and barely sleeps. She eats for about 30-40 min then I wait til she is completely knocked out and I put her in her swing. She will sleep for about 45 min and starts getting restless and cries. When I pick her up she wont stop screaming til I put her on my breast. She does suckle and I know Im producing enough milk. Today she only slept a total of almost 3 hours in the day time. And at night she did her average 5-6 she always does. Im also scared she isnt sleeping enough. Ok and yes I swaddle her and yes she co sleeps so please dont give any of those suggestions. Thank you.|||You are doing a great job. One thing you may want to do is get a sling so she can be attached to you and you can still get things done. Right now she is probably going through a growth spurt and is doing what is called cluster feeding. During growth spurts it may seem like she is constantly on the breast and may not want to sleep much. Just keep doing what you are doing everything is normal.|||Have u tried a pacifier cause it dont mean shes always hungry when my son cries sometimes its just to suck, on somethin and when he spits it out I know he is hungry|||It sounds like your having a hard time. I'm curious, not one thing is mentioned about the father. Is he around? If so, he needs to help out.|||Welcome to parenthood :-) the first three months with a breastfeeding baby are the most trying time. They eat a lot especially with growth spurts. Add that to the fact that she is use to being inside you carried around 24/7 and she is trying to adjust to the outside world. I was told to just be prepared to do nothing but hold baby and feed baby and care for baby for 3 months and sure enough that basically what I did. It gets better but that is why many fail to breastfeed past 3 months because they give up due to the constant care their baby needs. Eventually they start giving formula hoping to get a "break" and that just keeps going until their milk dries up and breastfeeding isn't an option. I was told to sleep when baby sleeps and eat when baby eats and that was really what worked. You are the primary care giver for your new baby, think of it like this when a cat has kittens they stay with them for the first 24-48 hrs afraid to leave their side and for the first 3 weeks they are constantly nursing those babies well for humans its more like 3 months lol.|||My son had this problem too. He wanted to consantly nurse and it was so painful and difficult to do it as much as he wanted. The hospital lactation nurse gave us a Soothie pacifier the second day he was born. It was a godsend. I was worried and felt guilty at first, but he had no problems with latching.





For the being held I bought a Baby Bjorn carrier. He's eighteen lbs now and I can still carry him for a good 45 min before I need to take him out. I even have back problems. It's great for keeping him close and having my hands free.





You are doing a wonderful job it sounds like. And have her sleep through for five or six hours is awesome. That was how Ayden was and I was so greatful.





Some babies don't need as much sleep whereas some need more. Start a bedtime routine to tell her body when it's time to sleep or nap. Keep lights low and sound level down. Also keep the acticity level quiet a little while before she is supposed to sleep.





A wonderful book that I just love is "No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. It was a wonderful book and so helpful.





You are doing great and good luck with your little girl.|||Her wanting to be held sounds pretty normal to me.. most babies are this way. It's in their nature to want to be with mom and to want to suck on the breast. It's good to hold them all the time - it's helps mom and baby bond and lets the baby know that you won't abandon them. The only thing that doesn't sound right is that she is only sleeping 3 hours in a day. most newborns sleep about 16 hours. I would certainly mention that to your doctor if i were you.|||It's fine don't worry. This is just how some babies are, mine was like that to. I invested in a Moby Wrap and life instantly became more peaceful and manageable. I also had to co-sleep because I couldn't put him down! I say let her sleep in the swing as much as she wants still because she will eventually need to sleep on her own anyways. I let my son sleep in the swing 2-3 times a day and co-slept the rest. Let her eat as often and as much as she wants. She will eat and sleep as she's suppose to. So far she seems like a normal baby to me.





The first month is always the hardest. Then by 3 months you hit a new milestone where they sleep more and so do you! LOL! and things get a bit easier again at about 6 months. Just go with it your doing great!|||I think she might be colic. Babies who have gas issues are very clingy and very restless like u described. Cz u know like us they are in pain cz of the gas movement. Try giving her gripe water. 5 ml or 1 tea spoon every 6-8 hours... 4 hours should be the minimum gap... And secondly take her in ur lap and put her on her tummy and rub her back with oil or lotions. Babies tend to get relaxed during messages and the rubbing will help release the gas.


And don't worry babies this young are settling down in their routines. Mine used to sleep on my chest until she was like 1 and a half month:) and she was very happy there. U can try that too... Cz the coziness of our chest relaxes the baby. I know alot of people will tell you it's a bad idea cz the babies will get used to it... But in my case my baby girl started sleeping on her own when she was like 2 months old and I never had any problems:)


Try to avoid anything that gives you gas. And if the problem persists after gripe water and back messages then go see a doctor.


Hope she feels better soon:)

No comments:

Post a Comment