Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My mom confessed that she's having blackout spells. One was at a local grocery store.?

She was about to turn her car off, the next thing she remembers is that she ran over the cement block, knocked down the handicapped sign (it was completely under her car) and was up on the edge of the sidewalk. When she came to, about 5 or 6 people were around her car. A very nice man helped her pull her car forward. She did go into the grocery store and leave her name and number. She has not heard from them since. I have told her she should no longer drive. And, I have made arrangements for my husband or me to be at her condo at least 3 times a week to get her groceries, etc. I was afraid she would drive anyhow, so told her we should take her car to our place so that we can drive it and keep it in good condition. She said she wants to keep it at her place "just in case". I know she'll drive when she feels like it and I now feel so responsible. Anyone else been in this sick, sick situation. What should I do? My mom just celebrated her 96th birthday so it's not like I'm trying to stop a 60-year-old from driving. I just feel so responsible -- what if she had a blackout and killed a child! I almost wish she had not told me!|||Janet - She needs to se a doctor right away. ASAP! She could have suffered a TIA/mini stroke. I have had two TIA's.





I'm sure you know what a TIA is - but just in case - look it up on the Internet.





I have been so light headed a few times - that I went to bed before passing out. After going to the doctor and having my blood tested - my electrolyte's were -'way out of whack' - also being dehydrated and low sodium. So for good measure - take her to see the doctor.





I'm now 75 and I feel empathy for your dear mom. The hardest thing I have ever had to do - was to give up my drivers license. I cried that day but I knew it was the thing to do. Oh my, how I loved to drive. I do have my car parked in the carport - it's a van - it's what my husband uses when he takes me to the doctor or hospital.





I turned in my drivers license about 5 years ago and quit driving 7 or more years ago. I knew I had to do it before I hurt someone - including myself.





You need to have a heart to heart talk with your mom. Take her keys - but leave her car - so she knows the car is just for her - when you take her on errands. I would be very upset if my kids took my car from me. They can take my keys - but not my car - it is still mine.





Bless you and your dear mother.


She must be a go getter. Wow! 96 years old. I should be so lucky to live as long.


DeeJay.|||Keep me posted on your dear mom. What would we moms do without daughters like you. DeeJay.

Report Abuse


|||Hi Janet, you have some excellent replies here, I can only add my support and see how difficult this must be for you, but like the others suggest she must seek medical advice and go from there. My best wishes and good luck to you Janet and to your dear Mother.|||My mom had to give up driving when she got to be 90. She had some small accidents. I suggest having the doctor check your mom. She shouldn't be having black outs. It could be something simple as medication adjustment.|||Let her have the car but keep the keys until she's seen the doctor. If she can't be responsible for herself and the safety of others someone has to be.|||these are sometimes referred to as syncopal episodes, have her blood pressure and heart checked by her doc...|||Let her have the car and the keys. Disconnect the battery. Then have it 'fixed' by a shonky mechanic.|||ive had several 'blackouts' and this was due to low glucose levels i am more careful now..happened so quick..i could not react...its made me aware if i go suddenly...i'm not going to know what happened.|||I think your mother had a TIA.|||Take her to see the doctor for the blackout. and then take her to take a driving test and she will have to pass it with a instructor in the car with her if not they will take her driver license away from her..They did this with my father-in-law at ages 80 and he couldn't drive anymore either..but I am surprise this mother of yours is still driving!! LOL|||Your mom is very lucky to have a daughter like you! I don't know why people refuse to see what's best for them even when it becomes so obvious,like a black out behind the wheel.Hopefully, the Doctor will be able to convince her that it's time to re asses her priorities and accept the offer of a helping hand from someone that has her best interests in mind.|||Some states have programs where something like this can be reported to the authorities, in our state, it's the Secretary of State's office, might be the DMV in yours. They will take it from there, by ordering a special examination held to determine whether a person's privilege of driving should be withheld. I hope you can do something like this. The onus wouldn't be on you if it was the state that stepped in, after all and for all she knows it could have been the grocery store who complained. I suggest you call the appropriate authorities and see if something, anything, can be done. Your mom is not only a danger to herself, but to all on the road. Good luck, honey, and remember you're only being the good daughter she brought you up to be.|||Talk with an attorney about this. He/she will tell you who to go to for taking her driving privilege away from her. This way you will not be blamed. You KNOW that you must do this, hon.





Remember the teenager who was killed by an 80 year old man who did not stop at a Stop sign? It was on TV news.





You could also hide her keys. Lock smiths are not allowed to make car keys. She would not be able to replace them.





My mother's car stalled on a highway going into town for groceries. A nice couple stopped and called my brother for help. He told her he was going to take her car to the shop. He never gave it back to her. When she asked about it, he would say it needed lots of fixing.|||I had a similar occurrence with my mom.


When she had a stroke she lost 10 % of


her vision and 25 % of her hearing.She


thought she could still drive and didn't


want to lose her freedom of the road.


After much arguing I finally asked her if


she thought her freedom of the road was


worth the life of some hapless child chasing


after a ball into the street.


We went to the MVD and traded her license


for an ID card.





It hurts when you have to treat your parent


like your child.


Good luck my friend.|||Janet, all you can do is to be there when she needs or desires to go out of the house. Perhaps, this will lessen her desire to drive on her own. Make it seem more like a thing you desire to do; rather than, taking away something which you both do not want done. I know you have too for your Mom's sake and the safety of others too; however, I know this hurts you too!





I sure wish you the best and your Mom too!

No comments:

Post a Comment