Friday, December 2, 2011

What is the best way to remove a small palm tree?

I have a fairly small (5ft tall) palm tree that was planted by the previous owners of my house right next to the mailbox. It was a foot or two shorter when I moved in (2 years ago) and it is now engulfing my mailbox. I have trimmed it a few times so the mailman and myself can access the mailbox but at this point it overgrows the box at a staggering speed. In a matter of weeks after trimming it, it swallows the mailbox again. I have had issues with the mail not being delivered or outgoing mail not being picked up and at the rate of growth I am thinking about removing it completely. I fear that if I let it keep growing it will completely knock the mailbox down at some point. What do you suggest as the best solution? If the best solution is to remove it, what is the best way to go about doing so? I have many bushes, shrubs etc. on my property and I care for them myself so if removal is the best plan I would like to know how to do that myself. For a reasonable cost preferably. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.|||If you like the plant, but not in its present location, just dig it up and move it. Or dig it up and give it to a neighbor. Palm trees grow from the crowns, the roots aren't a major consideration when moving a palm.





If you really don't want this tree, you can cut it off a ground level. Palm stumps usually don't send out new shoots. |||shovel. they have a very shallow root system

No comments:

Post a Comment