Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Is there something wrong with my Guinea Pig?

About three hours ago, I brought my Guinea Pigs in from their exercise pen outside. They had been out there for maybe two or three hours. It was a warm day. It was not "hot" but mostly "warm" and I left them in a completely shady spot where there was no sun. I went out their about five times to check on them and make sure they were Okay, and they were. They were just hiding behind their little shelter munching on the grass. But when I came to bring them in, the shady spot was completely sun, and they had knocked down their Igloo and wood plank. (So their was NO shade at all. But they DID have water.)


Anyway, one of them was eating grass and running around, and the other one was just lying still. Fearing this may be heatstroke, I immediately brought them back inside, and brushed them off with a damp paper towel, one of them was fine and just ran around the cage, and etc. But the other one that had been lying still in the pen didn't really do anything, and so I got his fur all damp and I put a fan in the room in front of their cage to help cool them off. And when I put him back in the cage he walked around a bit, and looked a bit dizzy. But I gave them plenty of fresh water, and they both seemed to recover. And about half an hour or so later I brought the Guinea Pig (who had seemed like he had heatstroke) out of his cage, and he ran around perfectly on all fours, not dizzy, as all Guinea pigs do. And he did his usual thing of hiding in his favorite spot in the room. Since then he has seemed fine, normal pellet-shaped poop (no diarrhea,) walking around his cage a bit, gave him self a little bath, and he's been taking a long nap since. And before he was not really being "skittish" but now he is. But the only thing that worries me is that about an hour ago I brought in some cucumber to help supplement their water, and he didn't eat ANY of it, (the other one ate ALL of it,) and I'm worried because cucumber is his favorite food, and he LOVES food all of the time, and he hasn't eaten anything yet. But I gave them the cucumbers at an unusual time before their dinner when they are not used to having their veggies, he was still taking his nap, and he did not squeak when I called "treat" to him, the other one did.





Should I be worried that he is not eating like his usual self?


Or should I just wait and see if he eats at his usual dinner time?|||You should wait and see what happens, if he isnt acting any better, and doesnt show any signs of improvemant, then take him to the vet|||hi how old are the piggies,if the one who was affected isnt better in a few hours id have a vet check him out,he might have just gotten a mild case of heatsroke and you caught it before it really got out of hand.let the little guy sleep it off,but do keep an eye on him.to be sure,id take him to the vets.|||yes

No comments:

Post a Comment