Saturday, November 19, 2011

Computer startup, fans run but after a few seconds it shuts down completely, nothing loads?

I came home, turned on my computer and all was happy and content, then we had a thunderstorm that night - I awoke to find this out from neighbors - which knocked out the power. The surge strip looked fine, all the lights were on and nothing seemed to have happened - except the cable modem was blank. I tried resetting the modem and it would turn on all the lights but nothing else. I then tried to start the computer and I pushed the power button, the amber power light went on, fans and drives started and hummed, but then everthing shut down. I tried a couple times with the same result. I opened the computer up and all looked fine, no black marks or funny smells. I thought maybe it was the power suppply so I changed it out with an extra I had, same result of starting and stopping within probably 20 seconds. I figure there's a short somewhere, and I tried different combinations of drives plugged and unplugged but nothing seems to matter. I built the PC myself but Im still a novice.|||Well, assuming you've tried to start your computer with it NOT plugged into that surge strip (throw that strip away, it has done it's job) your motherboard is now a nice looking, though bulky, paperweight. The excess voltage came in through the cable company's coax cable, and "smoked" your motherboard. You'll have to buy another motherboard, and also, this time, buy a surge suppressor that has a connection for your coax cable.





BTW, resetting your BIOS won't help. If the excess voltage made it to your motherboard, it's now junk.|||If you have a safe mode on your computer I would press f7 for safe mode and run a virus check. If that dont work the outlet may have a short circuit. I would move my computer to a different outlet to see If it doesn't cut out.|||Dear friend,





I too had the same problem. Everything was fine inside the computer, but the problem was with the computer switch. The on/off button. So I changed the cabinet and it is working fine now. So try doing that. BOL|||If your fan is running fine, that;s mean some of your registry entries has been changed or you computer is infected with any kind of worms, which is the cause of shutdown your pc.





You can get more information about this problem with this link : -





http://hop.clickbank.net/?install/onpoin鈥?/a>|||did you check the monitor as the computer will not start or act like your saying if the monitor is not functioning, try to borrow someones tech aid ( computer post readout) and stick it in a pci slot and see what the codes are, will tell you whats wrong, try ataching another monitor you know works first. Good luck. Also clear the bios useing the jumper pin on the motherboard.|||power supply problem, change your power supply buy a new one|||Mostly, it happens to power supply first. the mainboard. if you are sure that the power supply is ok. then not to check your drive, first look at mainboard first. it may has some circuit burn. your modem will not work. it's not 100%burn, but also burn.|||"Everything was fine inside the computer, but the problem was with the computer switch. The on/off button."





I agree with the previous user. I've experienced it before too. Since the power button on the casing is spoilt, I plugged the reset button onto the motherboard power switch. Now I have a working pc but I cannot manually reset the comp.|||Bad start up switch if it won't turn green.or monitor problem.


Move to another wall outlet and check again .


If you have another computer which you seem to then hook up your other monitor to the computer and check it out .


Good luck|||sounds like a power issue...





if you are novice then buy a new one...sorry you werenot expecting this ... but the truth is this|||Stop. If there was a power surge or spike, you need to find out. Your power strip, if a surge protector, has a warranty for electronic equipment plugged into it and get damaged. If you start trying to fix it yourself you may void that warranty. Contact the manufacturer and check into what warranty you have. My surge protector has a $250,000 protection, I have all my equipment plugged into it. If I get a surge and anything gets damaged, they are paying repair (or replacement costs).|||try changing out the power cord allot of the time a surge protector will shut off causing the cord that plugs into it to get a short in it|||if its a Xdsl modem unplug it if that don't work pull the net work card /if its a dialup pull the modem / if that don't work its getting bad try clearing the cmos there is a small jumper on the motherboard this some times works|||Bios and hardware problem|||well this happened to me a while back... the comp just kept restarting.... nothing loaded... nothing i tried worked so i had to get a new system.... it was fully corrupted|||Rest your bios. If that doesn't work then disconnect all peripherals/drives and remove all of your pci cards, etc. Leave only 1 stick of ram, the processor, the video card, and the powersupply.





Reboot. If it post's you can add the parts back one at a time to find the problem. If it doesnt you have narrowed the problem down to 5 parts (RAM, Motherboard, Powersupply, Processor, vid card) and can replace one by one with known good to find the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment