Thursday, November 24, 2011

I like to box but I'm not good. Should I quit?

My friends and I have been boxing in the basement all winter. We put everyones name in a hat and draw 2 out for a fight. There are usually 5-8 guys and 3 or 4 girls. I have fought 3 times against guys and lost all 3 badly. I have been knocked down in every fight and knocked completely out once. My punches don't seem to hurt the person I'm fighting and when I get hit I get knocked down. And the one time I got hit with a left hook on my chin and was knocked out. Anyway, my friend's sister is the best girl boxer, she beat all the other girls and knocks them down a lot - they wouldn't fight her anymore- so she asked me to fight her. We are about the same size (I am 5'8 140lbs, she is 5'7 110 lbs) and so I agreed. I actually thought I would have to take it easy but my friend (it was his sister and he is the one who knocked me out) told me she is better than me and hits harder. So I was trying my best. In the first round she jabbed me a lot. Everytime I moved forward she nailed me in the face. If I moved back she trapped me in the corner and hit me with body punches and hooks. But I survived the first round. In the 2nd round she was hitting me with body punches and i leaned forward and she hit me with an uppercut. I stood straight up and my legs went rubbery and then she hit me with a straight right and I went down. I got up and just tried to go crazy-swung as hard as I could over and over but couldn't hit her and then she stepped to the side and hit me with a right hook that knocked me down again. I tried to get up but fell face first and couldn't get my legs to work. Her brother counted to 10 and I thought I got up in time but he said I'd had enough. She told me I should quit boxing because I'm too slow and I can't take a punch. I want to learn to box better and show her in a rematch, do you think it's possible?|||Don't quit. Practice makes perfect. Try and go to the gym and practice on the punching bags there. I do it for my karate and it really helps. When you fight don't get angry either it just makes you lose control and it won't help at all. Also when you practice think FAST and ALWAYS concentrate on the person you are fighting and no one else. If you concentrate well enough and you focus you will only see him/her. Also watch who ever you are fighting carefully (when you are on or off the floor look at everyone) they have there own style of fighting. Note how they take advantage of of others faults. DON'T feel intimidated either. Hope this helps... E-mail if you need more help.


BelieverGirl|||of course its possible... just like anything it takes some practice and training. keep boxing. the skill will come as you box on.|||practice makes perfect|||dont quite just work harder and harder every day if you like then you shouldnt want to quite|||you should not quit. Practice more and you never know you might be one of the good boxer someday. Gudluk|||do it for 10 years then see if you still suck. everyone sucks till they get good! everyone!|||well it is more better if you asses first yourself. all the boxing greats had a special and natural talents. usually they got power of both endurance and punching power. 2nd you must have a speed. and one of the most important, you should use the brain in boxing, not just punches. true that practice makes perfect, but not all dreamer succeeds. it must be a natural.|||Marty... It sounds like you are fan of boxing but not a boxer. There are those who have a natural ability for the sport and those who THINK that they are boxing material just because they get into street brawls. I've been a part of the sport for over 30 years and wanted to do something about when it was way too late for me so I stick with the training and I'll tell you that staging fights in someones basement without proper supervision and training is dangerous. The brain can only sustain only so much damage before it starts to go out on you. The last thing you want is to walk around slurring your speech like your drunk all the time due to blunt force trauma to your head from too many punches. I've seen guys train like nobody's business for years but never evolved as good fighters so they become journeymen and sparring partners in the sport. If you really want to see if you have the potential to be a good fighter. Go and join one of the local gyms, get hold of someone who is willing to train you properly and teach you the dynamics of the sport. Ask a ton of questions that will help you improve your game. A good honest trainer will tell you right off the top what your potential is...|||Pugilists don't impress me.


Gettin knocked out doesn't impress your brain. It's not good for it.


Think of it like skateboarding. You shouldn't try dropping into a half pipe until your good enough to ride at least a small street ramp. Don't get into knock out style comp until you've sparred a bunch.


I used to have play fights with my mates as a kid. It was fun, nobody ever got knocked out and very rarely did anyone cry.


I learned martial arts. I wanted to be able to defend myself. This worked out much better that boxing would have and again I never got knocked out whilst learning.


Boxing is a "sport" and I think it's a stupid one. Sure it takes determination, training, talent and a willingness to get hit on but at the end of the day it's two people trying to hurt one another and I don't think that's impressive at all. I think it's stupid.


Lean a martial art. Trust me put three years decent effort into a martial art and you'll never have a boxer lay a hand on you again. What's more you won't get knocked out and you won't have to knock anyone else out either.


If your hearts set on boxing, go find a boxing gym (a youth centre should have one) get them to show you the ropes.|||Yes of course its possible. Height or Size doesn't matter. Its how much you want it. Why don't you attend boxing lessons, even for a couple of weeks, just so that the coach can improve you and give you tips. Consentration is the key, don't just run in all guns blazing. Do some workouts on your own, wieght training to help your core.|||go get a real trainer at a real gym. boxing is getting old MMA is in my opinion a much broader, but harder to learn form of martial arts. either quit martail arts or get a real proffessional to train you before you get hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment